Saturday, August 11, 2012

Invasive Plant

Andy | Saturday, August 11, 2012 | Best Blogger Tips

Purple loosestrife is an exotic wetland perennial that invaded North America in the early 19th century. Native to Europe, this highly invasive plant was thought to have been introduced from the ballast of ships who used soil to weigh down the ships or by settlers to be used for their flower
gardens or as a medicinal herb.
Since its introduction to North America, it has become a serious invader of wetlands, roadsides and other disturbed areas. In 1992 the leaf eating beetles, Galerucella calmariensis were approved by Canadian and US governments for release to control the plant. The beetles are natural enemies and have shown to effectively reduce loosestrife populations by up to 85% and allow native
vegetation to become established.

3 comments:

  1. Fascinating information. I knew about the loosestrife invasion, but didn't know about beetle control.
    I think I'd rather look at loosestrife than at beetles, and it does make me wonder about importing another foreign species, but I'm glad (for now) it worked and I just hope it doesn't cause another problem.
    Not knocking your post or your blog, Andy, just wondering.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay I have the same feelings about importing an insect to clean up an other import gone bad. The beetles do work. I have seen first hand where they have destroyed whole fields of the purple loosestrife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post about a real problem!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive